Thursday, September 18, 2008

Books, Books and More Books.

I came across a post on the Ugandan insomniac's page. It was all about books we have on our shelves and yet we are embarassed to say we have not yet read.

So here's my spin on this:

Books that have given me the greates joy!!!!!
  1. Tick bite fever
  2. No.1 ladies detective agency (series) ( Alexander McCall)
  3. Miguel Street (VS Naipaul)
  4. Purple Hibiscus (Chimamanda A)
  5. The Prince (Machiavelli
  6. Shogun (Jame Clavell)
  7. Asterix
  8. Tintin

Books that I have and have not read (Shame!)

  1. Great railway bazaar (Paul theroux)
  2. Isles of Oceana (Paul theroux)
  3. A bend in the river (VS Naipaul)
  4. Art of War

Books that I seriously need to buy ( and hopefully read)

  1. A long walk to freedom
  2. A house for Mr. Biswas

Books I have been told that if I haven't read then I am semi literate

  1. War and Peace ( oh lord!)
  2. Heart of Darkness
  3. Midnight's children (salman Rushdie)
  4. 100 years of solitude (Garcia Marquez)
  5. A suitable boy(Vikram Seth)

Books that I cant be bothered to look for

  1. Rich dad Poor dad
  2. The monk who sold his ferrari

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello DMX,

Just wanted to let you know you've been added to BlogSpirit.

http://nodesix.net/blogspirit

Welcome to blogspace.

Anonymous said...

No. 1 Ladies Detective?! Really?

I heard of someone this week who has all the Asterix comics on soft copy. I'm trying to con him into giving me copies.

War and Peace ... It's long, but it's really good.

100 Years is overrated. Totally.

Rich Dad tell you everything you already know.

It turns out you are right on track. But stay away from Paul Theroux. Naipul was soooo disappointing when he came to Kampala earliler this year. A Bend is nice, but made me say 'shiyah' a lot.

DMX said...

Solomon: Thanks for adding me to the blog aggregator.

Tumwijuke: The No.1 ladies detective agency was a breath of fresh air for me, simple, down too earth and unpretentious. That fact that I could relate to the cultural issue was a bonus.

I agree that we should all stay away from paul theroux, I read his Dark Star safari. And was absolutely pissed off. He travelled from Cairo to Cape town and he kept encountering 'africans'. Not Ugandans or Zambians or tanzanians, but Africans, like its one big town. It was very condenscending indeed.

Carlo said...

Nga I'm liking your blog thus far. I'm looking for some more books to read too so I'm going shopping Saturday. I'll make sure to get No. 1 Ladies Detective. Have always wanted to read it.

Samali Mudamuli Ntikita Ntikita said...

I thought I was the only one who loved all the 9 series of No.1 ladies detective agency and Purple Hibiscus. I can relate with Mma Grace Makutsi because I'm an Admin. Assistant. Then a lot of the things mentioned are similar to the culture I have grown up in. Like saying 'kodi’. I find it hard to believe that a man who is not African could have written it. For instance, I find Mma Precious Ramotswe’s description of thin women so African womanly.

Tintin and Asterix reminds me of my brother when he was in Budo. They were priceless.