Thursday, October 01, 2009

Its Official: India.Arie and I



With great embarrasment, I have to admit that until 6 weeks ago I had only known of India.Arie by name. She always generated rave reviews whenever her name was mentioned and I just played along, not daring to admit that i had never really listened to her music.

All that has since changed, many thanks to my good friends back in Joburg. I have her loaded on my Ipod Shuffle and can't play anything else. Its simply that acoustic, unplugged sound,which is coupled with the clearly audible and equally deep meaning lyrics. Add her striking 'african'beauty and you have me cheering from the rafters.
The effect is the same as when I first heard Tracy Chapman sing, way back when I was still in O-level at King's College, Buddo.

She is addictive, she is inspiring and she easily gets you to sing along with her. The sound is dubbed 'acoustic soul' and I love it.

Sing on sister.

4 comments:

normzo™ said...

With this post, i should look for her music- and yes i to am embarassed that i just hear about her, but havenver really listened to her sing.

and if she is as chapman, then i need to listen.

B2B said...

India.Arie does have some amazing music...
her first two albums are dope...
i won't trip with whatevz about the specific song titles....
But you should add to the list:
Floetry
Erykah Badu
Maxwell
and a tonne of other neo-soulites

DMX said...

Normzo: I am sure you will love her music.

B2B: strangely I do not quite like Maxwell and I get shocked stares when ever I say that.
Erykah Baddu, on the other hand, is right up there. Not sure howone would describe her sound.

Wendal said...

Yeah, she does remind me alot about Tracy Chapman. And just like that, you have me listening again to my all-time favorite Tracy Chapman track "Open Arms"